Friday, July 31, 2020

Haworthia passion!


Hello everyone... Laguna, Philippines is still on community quarantine and it has been 4 and half months since then. So much has been done and cleaned around the house, while watching the phases of the pandemic. I am done with my backlogs in scrapbooking and Project Life, sewing, tidying up my little kitchen, scraproom, closets and cabinets, cooking and now, gardening.

People now a days are hocked on gardening-- vegetables, herbs, cacti and succulents, orchids and ornamental. As they say, we are going back to basics?! I have been a weekend gardener for almost 3 years now. I started with a few cacti and succulents, and a lot of cups and bowls to repot and repot them. I started to replant their babies, until I fell in love with Haworthia. Haworthia came from land of South Africa. They are closely related to the Aloe and Gasteria families. Haworthia, Aloe and Gasteria are all members of the Asphodelaceae family. But according to the world of succulents.com, Haworthia is a genus of small succulent plant within the family of Xanthorrhoeaceae. 

Here are a few of my kept Haworthia... I just love them!









The most common here in the Philippines is the Haworthia glabrata or the Tiger Haworthia. I see this plant to be strong and has firm leaves. I remember during my 50th birthday, my cousins Janice and Maan gifted me with this on white cups as my party giveaways. I wish to find some more varieties right after the lockdown. For now, I am enjoying my rares Haworthia coarctata and reinwardtii. 

The world is now battling over economics and health safety. One thing that this pandemic taught me is to HOPE for change. The world made its natural course of cleaning, detoxifying and healing. We, people must continue to change our ways in order to make this place a better place for the next generation. Its great to know that we are all planting! I am in wonderment to see them all in the social media. My only regret is the price... they are getting soo expensive. I just have a mind set that a few is enough to please my soul. And so, when I got my metal shelves last Tuesday, and my two loves were showcased -- my owls and Haworthia had a better place in my little home.

Thanks for looking... Got a few more plants to repot!




No comments: